Banks Peninsula Water Management Zone Joint Committee

Open Minutes

 

 

Date:                                     Tuesday 20 March 2018

Time:                                    5.30pm

Venue:                                 Little River Rugby Clubrooms, Valley Road, Little River

 

 

Present

Chairperson

Members

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In Attendance

Paula Smith - Community Representative

Gina Waibl - Community Representative      

Ian Lloyd - Community Representative          

Garrick Thorn - Community Representative 

Fiona Nicol - Community Representative      

Pam Richardson - Community Representative        

Elizabeth Cunningham - Councillor Environment Canterbury      

Manaia Cunningham - Te Runanga o Koukourarata             - departed at 7.55pm

Benita Wakefield - Te Runanga o Wairewa   

June Swindells - Te Hapū  o Ngāti Wheke/Rapaki

 

Tori Peden, Banks Peninsula Community Board member

 

 

11 April 2018

 

Principal Advisor

Peter Kingsbury

Principal Advisor  Natural Resources

Tel: 941 8487

Christchurch City Council

Zone Facilitator

Olivia Smith

Zone Facilitator

Tel: 027 886 3949

Environment Canterbury

Committee Advisor

Warren Brixton

Council Secretariat

Tel: 941 8999

Christchurch City Council

 

 

www.ccc.govt.nz

To view copies of Agendas and Minutes, visit:
www.ccc.govt.nz/thecouncil/meetingsminutes/agenda/index.aspx
www.ecan.govt.nz/news-and-notices/minutes/Pages/Default.aspx

 


Banks Peninsula Water Management Zone Joint Committee

20 March 2018

  

 

 

 

The meeting opened with a Karakia led by Manaia Cunningham.

 

The agenda was dealt with in the following order.

1.   Apologies

The apologies of Andrew Turner and Pere Tainui were accepted.

2.   Confirmation of Previous Minutes

Committee Decision

That the minutes of the Banks Peninsula Water Management Zone Joint Committee meeting held on Tuesday, 21 November 2017 be confirmed, subject to name spelling corrections.

 

3.   Matters Arising from the Minutes

 

Banks Peninsula Conservation Trust

In response to a question as to whether the invitation from the Trust to visit Stony Bay predator fencing work, it was reported that this has yet to be arranged. Facilitator will follow up with the Trust with the suggestion of May for a field trip.

 

Long Term Plan Feedback

Feedback to the Long-Term Plans has been made to both the City Council and Environment Canterbury.

 

A letter of support from the Committee for the Little River/Wairewa Community Trust Submission on drainage issues was suggested.  The matter was held over until public contributions as members were not aware of the content of the submission.

 

Retiring Committee Members

In response to a question as to whether the outgoing committee members and Peter Ramsden had been written to, thanking them for their past contributions to committee work, it was reported that this has been done. In addition, “Thankyou” cards will be circulated at the meeting for members to sign.

 

4.   Deputations by Appointment

There were no deputations by appointment.

5.   Identification of Urgent Items

         Nil.

6.   Identification of General Public Contributions

 

Mac Birch representing the Little River/Wairewa Community Trust advised that the Trust is to finalise its submission to the LTP in the next few days. He related past presentations made on Little River Village concerns, the main thrust of the current submission being drainage, Te Roto o Wairewa sediment, waste water recycling systems, the Coronation Library and Little River railway buildings.

The collection of rainwater into storage tanks and drainage works, might be funded through a drainage rate.

 

Joint Committee Decision

 

The Banks Peninsula Water Management Committee invited the Trust to circulate the relevant parts of their submission to committee members.

1.      The provision of a letter of support for the LTP submission if committee members support the relevant parts of the Trusts submission.

2.      That the committee consider education/incentives for rainwater harvesting investigations

Fiona Nicol advised she is willing to lead the process and email members with the relevant information.

 

7.   Election of Chair, Deputy Chair and Regional Committee Representative

 

Chair

Nominations were called for the position of Chair to the Committee, for the ensuing term.

 

Manaia Cunningham nominated Ian Lloyd, and this was seconded by June Swindells

 

Gina Waibl nominated Paula Smith, and this was seconded by Ian Lloyd.

 

Ian Lloyd withdrew his nomination

 

Paula Smith was declared elected as Chair of the Banks Peninsula Water Management Zone Committee.

 

Paula Smith took the Chair

 

Deputy Chair

Nominations were called for the position of Deputy Chair to the Committee, for the ensuing term.

 

Ian Lloyd nominated Pam Richardson, and this was seconded by Fiona Nicol

 

Elizabeth Cunningham nominated Benita Wakefield, and this was seconded by Manaia Cunningham.

 

Benita Wakefield withdrew her nomination

 

Pam Richardson was declared elected as Deputy Chair of the Banks Peninsula Water Management Zone Committee.

 

Regional Committee Representative

Nominations were called for the position of Regional Committee Representative to the Regional Committee, for the ensuing term.

 

Paula Smith nominated Fiona Nicol, and this was seconded by Manaia Cunningham.

Fiona Nicol was declared elected as Regional Representative to the Regional Committee.

 

Joint Committee Decision

That the Banks Peninsula Water Management Zone Joint Committee elect:

1.         · Paula Smith as Chairperson for 2018

          · Pam Richardson as Deputy Chairperson for 2018

          · Fiona Nicol as Regional Representative for 2018.

 

8.   Banks Peninsula Zone Committee 2017 Annual Report

 

             Members noted various amendments they would like made to the document, before its release including:

·         Removal of repetition – Stream Bank Management

·         Inclusion of reference to committee questions on sustainability of forests

·         Reference to implementation by management team, should instead be ZIP

·         Changes to “template”

·         Mention “fire” under key achievements

·         Change led by CCC to CCC and Ecan

·         “Reducing sediment from roads”- Needs rewording (work with Pam)

·         “Progress towards achieving “CWMS targets”- Delete re monitoring fresh water

 

Joint Committee Decision

That the Banks Peninsula Water Management Zone Joint Committee:

1.         decided to receive the 2017 Annual Report, subject to the amendments sought and circulation to members for final sign-off.

 

9.   Facilitators Update 20 March 2018

 

The report was taken as read.

 

Matters Arising

Le Bon’s Bay Water Workshop – The proposed workshop is not proceeding

 

Olivia Smith is to report back to Marie Haley and say that committee will not proceed with hosting the workshop in April but are motivated to engage the Le Bons Bay community later this year.

 

Timing of Meetings - It was left to Olivia Smith to work out a meeting venue calendar with the Chair and Deputy Chair, noting that timing could depend on the whereabouts of the venue and the season of the year.

 

 

Joint Committee Decision

That the Banks Peninsula Water Management Zone Joint Committee:

1.         Receive the Facilitators report, noting the various action sought.

 

10. Department of Conservation Update 20 March 2018

 

Andy Thompson, Operational Manager, Mahaanui spoke on matters covering:

·           John Benn’s co-ordinating role

·           Mahaanui district boundaries and DOC facilities

·           Conservation land and marine reserves managed

·           Relationships with Runanga and district councils

 

Key factors of:

o    Conservation

o    Marine – historic

o    Recreation

o    Community Function

o    Freshwater diversity

o    Partnership role with Ministry of Social Welfare

 

Joint Committee Decision

That the Banks Peninsula Water Management Zone Joint Committee:

1.         Receive the verbal update on actions DOC are undertaking to help deliver the recommendations in the Banks Peninsula ZIP and ZIPA.

 

11. Understanding the drivers of Macroinvertebrate Health Grades for Banks Peninsula Streams 20 March 2018

   Dr Tim Davie, Chief Scientist, spoke to his report, providing explanation on:

·         Ecosystem Health Monitoring (24 sites in BP)

o   Invertebrate scoring

o   Habitat scoring

·         Summary

o   Siltation of stream beds is a key issue

o   Water quality “fair” grading

o   Worth perusing with stream improvements

 

Joint Committee Decision

That the Banks Peninsula Water Management Zone Joint Committee:

1.              Receive the presentation

2.              Ask Ian Lloyd to follow up with the Orton Bradley Park (Te Wharau Stream site)

3.              Investigate a “Road Show”, to communicate the work being done in streams.

 

April meeting agenda items were noted as:

1.      Nature Agents Programme

2.      Farm Environment Plans

3.      Septic Tanks – invite District Health Board representative

4.      Forestry management on Banks Peninsula 

The next meeting of the Committee will be held on Tuesday, 17 April 2018, Allandale Hall (to be confirmed) at 4pm. A workshop will commence immediately before the meeting at 3pm to continue the workshop session.

 

   

Meeting concluded at 8.12pm.

 

CONFIRMED THIS 17TH DAY OF APRIL 2018